Wednesday 17 August 2016

Quarter-final game vs Dwarfs

Playoff time and my Undead were facing a really strong Dwarf team coached by my mate George.  Their TV was a rather chunky 1950gc so I had opted to leave my team as being 390gc lower so that I could induce Count Luthor as it would be the first time I had ever used my painted mini of him.

George and his killer dwarf team
I received the ball and got up the field but with the dwarfs kicking ass everywhere, I was running out of players and I had to score in my Turn 7.  I was really lucky as George had injured a zombie, a wight and Luthor but they'd all regenerated!  No such luck for one of my unskilled ghouls though as he was out of the game permanently.  George received the ball in his Turn 7 and pulled off an audacious two-turn score to equalise, assisted by my chump move of not marking the ball carrier when I should have before rolling some dice (which failed obviously)

In the second half the Dwarfs received and their AG5 blitzer managed to lob a ball down field to a waiting lineman who was the only player in my half - who caught it and slowly scampered off.  I tried to backtrack but George scored in his Turn 7.  I had two turns to try to pull it back to 2-2 and I got lucky as the ball ended up being a touchback at the kickoff.  I gave it to Count Luthor and sent him down field surrounded by ghouls and wights.  George has some poor luck here as a GFI with his super AG5 blitzer to mark a player ended in failure and he took himself out of the game.  Luthor managed to blitz, dodge and GFI to make it all square!

Count Luthor - pulls it out of the bag...
As it was a playoff, we had to then play another half using overtime rules.  The dwarfs rolled to receive the kick and we started doing our best to outmaneuver each other but nothing came of it after all.  It was time for penalties - which for our league is a best of five.

My first two rolls were sixes - but George's dice came good and he won the penalty shootout 3-2.  So his dwarfs go through to a semi-final round and my season comes to an shuddering end.  I thought I would be more disappointed about losing but it was such an epic game, I really can't complain.  My undead had a decent season but they were never a really strong team.  They went unbeaten the whole season which is something I guess - but only being able to get five wins and the rest draws just isn't enough to really mean they deserved a semi-final spot.

So that's the end of this mini-blog then.  It's been a long and difficult season to manage and I'm actually quite pleased it's all over.  There were so many coaches that dropped out it really did slow the league down - and having scheduled games with coaches who couldn't attend each week didn't help either.  The format of the league will have to be reconsidered for next season.  With the new GW Blood Bowl box set being due out before Christmas, it might not be too long before the league restarts - probably in the new year.  So I'll sign off now and I'll start a new mini-blog then once I've decided which team I want to use.

Until then, keep on fouling!

No comments:

Post a Comment