Wednesday 23 September 2015

Come on, you elves! You wanna live forever?

These games just keep getting harder!  Round 3 and my Undead team were facing my buddy Shane and his Wood Elf team "Project XIII".  Shane is a Blood Bowl veteran known as Rodders in the BB community; he's a NAF Regional Tournament Organiser, ran the excellent Carrot Crunch BB tournaments and is probably the best coach I play against regularly - so I knew I had my work cut out with this one.

"This is my game face.  Be very afraid."
He'd lost his first game vs Chaos Dwarves and won his second game vs Lizardmen and his players had a few more skills than mine already.  He had a MV9 Wardancer and Catcher, another Wardancer with Strip Ball and a Catcher with Block.  My only hope was to just keep swinging and pray that I could outnumber him enough to outscore him.

The Lords of Midnight - Undead

2 x Mummies (one with Guard)
2 x Wights
3 x Ghouls
5 x Zombies
3 x Rerolls

Project XIII - Wood Elf

2 x Wardancers (one with MV9, one with Strip Ball)
2 x Catchers (one with MV9, one with Block)
1 x Thrower
4 x Linemen
2 x Journeymen
1 x Reroll

We both rolled the same amount of fans so neither of us got FAME. Shane won the toss and elected to kick first which would give me a chance to start swinging straight away.  Unfortunately Shane then managed to roll a Blitz which gave him a perfect opportunity to swarm into my backfield and crowd the ball.  He even managed to catch the ball that was kicked!  All I could do was get back and try a desperate one dice blitz on the Wardancer with the ball - which knocked him down and a Ghoul managed to collect the ball.  In the next turn, Rodders dodged out some players and hit the Ghoul with his Strip Ball Wardancer which sent the ball flying.  Whilst he was trying to clear a way for him to get to pick up the ball, he pushed a zombie onto the ball which made it scatter - which duly landed in the lap of the Ghoul who had taken it off the Wardancer!  Rodders later splatted the Ghoul and got the ball away to score.

All this time, my Mummys were doing there best to smash up his team - something that carried on throughout the game!  Despite their best efforts they couldn't do anything other than cause a MNG on a Journeyman - they just kept Badly Hurting players.  Shane was down to nine players when he kicked off again but this time he rolled a High Kick and one of my Ghouls caught the ball as it landed.   Lots more smashing occurred and I was lucky to knock out both Wardancers in the same turn.  The Ghoul scored at the end of turn 8 to make it 1-1.  Rodders set up to receive with just four players in his final turn of the half - which ended up with a Catcher failing a dodge and knocking himself out.

In the second half, I was kicking to Shane and he still only had four players!  Despite this, he managed to run a catcher deep into my half after giving him the ball.  I surround the Catcher with my own players and blitzed him - and after a reroll I was still only able to push him.  It was all too easy for the Catcher to score in the next turn after my dice fail.  2-1 to Rodders!  He set up again, still with just four players left although one was the Strip Ball Wardancer.  I started moving the ball upfield after the kick and Shane did some razzle dazzle to blitz the ball carrier with two dice against - but both were POWs!  Down went the Ghoul and the ball scattered into two tackle zones.  Still not enough to worry a Catcher though as he waltzed though tackle zones like they weren't there and then picked up the ball!  My dice started working here as one of my Ghouls knocked out the cursed Wardancer, then a Wight blitzed the Catcher to take him down and release the ball.  It was then I started fouling the Catcher as much as I could as he was just so annoying!  A Ghoul retrieved the ball and headed upfield - and despite Rodders best efforts I scored in the final turn to make it 2-2.  Rodders was left with just one player on the field but had escaped any injuries apart from a MNG on a Journeyman.

Despite causing five casualties, only one of my players had done well enough to warrant gaining a skill - one of my Zombies who had caused a casualty and gotten MVP.  I have given him the Dirty Player skill so he can be more effective at fouling.

My Undead are on a bye for Round four so the next time I use them they will be taking on Chaos Dwarves.  Until then, it will be the Goblins playing who will be facing Ogres!

1 comment:

  1. the ogres are ready to face your goblins and how many inducements.......?

    ReplyDelete